Friday, November 26, 2004

Movie time

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?....

Why Spongebob Squarepants, of course.  I'd promised the kids I'd take them to see it today not realizing that today was probably not the best of days to be anywhere near a mall.  I was pleasantly surprised that although the mall was busy, it wasn't that bad at the time we went (around 5).  Since I enjoy all things Spongebob, I was looking forward to seeing it as much as they were.   

I love taking them to the movies.  Sometimes I don't watch the movie and just watch their little faces to see how they react to it. It's great to see little smiling silhouettes passing their popcorn back and forth, just so into it they don't notice me watching them.  I have to say Spongebob didn't disappoint! I was LOL quite a bit. Who says I'm not easily entertained? 

We had to wait for our showing, so we actually bravely sallied forth into the mall to grab a bite and window shop.  I got a kick out of spotting the crazy people that had that "I've been here all day and am about to snap" look about them.  I inwardly cringed at the chubbies wearing belly shirts and low pants; and am still trying to figure out the appeal of the fur-lined Ugg-like boots in a climate like ours.  It's just not that cold, girls.  We are lucky enough to live in a place that if you wanted too, you could probably wear sandals year round. Did I mention that said fur-lined boots were most often paired with a miniskirt?  Whatever, people.  You just keep on spending Mommy and Daddy's money on whatever you want, princess, because apparently no one is checking you at the door when you go out.

I did manage to score some points with my oldest when I spotted a denim jacket at Gap.  On sale.  If I'd been looking for it, it wouldn't have come to pass, but we weren't, and I got lucky that it was a good deal AND he liked it AND it fit ok.  What are the chances of that?  I had to smile when he asked me if I thought he looked ok/would Dani like it?  I'm in for a long month and a half before she comes to visit! 

We visited briefly with my husband at work when we took him a treat (choc shake).  I resisted the urge to put Ex-Lax in it because I know he was really rooting for the U of A tonight, and was so smug earlier in the afternoon when ASU was losing that I almost punched him. It was a welcome diversion to go to see Spongebob. (I'm a little inconsolable right now.  But I'll take my lumps like a man, I'm sure the people I've not heard from all season will be burning up my phone lines tomorrow.  At least I won't have to put up with it at work for a week or so.)

When I was walking with the dog earlier, I noticed a lot of people in the neighborhood getting a jump on the Christmas lights and such.  It made me think about my other favorite thing to do with the kids at this time of year, and that's drive around and look at lights.  I took them to this one particular street we always go to, it's really spectacular.  Seriously, it's like Christmas exploded in this cul de sac in Mesa.  I couldn't feel bad for too long when I heard around me "Look, that's different from last year.." "Can we come back and walk around the street next time?" "WOW!  Look, Mommy, lights, my lights!" The last comment from Audrey, who was about to bust right out of her carseat from excitement--I grin just thinking about how thrilled she was, she's really gonna have fun this year that she's more aware of what's going on. She started crying when I pulled into our driveway because she wanted to see "more my lights!" Hopefully, she won't inspire her Daddy into a Christmas Vacation-like display of watts, but I'm sure he'll get a little carried away, he's due for it.

Guess I'd better start shopping for a good ladder and a staple gun...

  

 

 

 

No comments: