Friday, November 12, 2004

I can't take them anywhere :)

Mood: tickled

It's been a busy day.  Had lots to do at the school, and the usual errands and housework to put on hold.   I volunteer at the school; making copies and stuff for all my kid's teachers.   There's a lot of behind the scenes stuff that they need help doing that I don't think people are aware of.  I don't mind, and the kids really like it that I'm in and out in their classrooms.  Its a symbiotic thing--I do the work, but at the same time,  I get to be a face to the name to the administrative staff, I get a sneak peek at the work they're doing, and I get to check out who their classmates are.  It's just a couple of hours once a week while my kindie is in class; SWMBO comes along and noshes on vending machine cuisine while I work, or colors; and what else would I be doing? Getting the seaweed body wrap at Madame Helga's?  Besides, I'll have a jr high kid in about (gasp) a year and a half and I don't think he's gonna want Mom along ruining his groove.  Who knows?

So after school, I had to go to the grocery store.  We were all doing fine, considering they were hungry and wanted to come home and eat.  I saw some girls that used to go to our school walking along with their Mom.  I think they are around the same age as my oldest (10) or a bit older.  So my 8 yr old goes to throw something in the trash and I turned to watch him go...and noticed the girls were totally eyeballing them!  Mouths open, heads turned, staring... (My 8 yr old is on the tall side)  As soon as I was out of their line of vision, I said to my oldest, who doesn't think he's cute, "hey, those girls were checking you out."   And he goes, "no they weren't" "Yes, they were." "no" "why do you say that?" "They were looking at Ben" "Sweetie, he went that way to the trash can, and yeah, they looked at him, but when I saw them, they were looking over here at you." "Nah, no they weren't"  But he had a little smile.  And so it begins.  I don't know if I'm ready for this yet.

What's a girl to do?  I laughed my ass off and came home to share that story with Mr W.  And I know even though he didn't say it he was thinking, 'that's my boy(s)!'  :)

So they were at their friends house and of course, when I went to pick them up I got the "Mommy, can they come to spend the night at our house?"  And me, the pushover, "Okay."  On the way to our house I had my Maroon 5 CD in (yeah, I'm like a teenager with that thing, I'm into it, lead singer's cute, who cares?).  And that song 'She Will Be Loved' came on (love it-) anyway, I'm sort of singing along under my breath when I suddenly hear a little chorus of 5 boys singing along (loudly and not too badly).  That, ladies and gentlemen, made my day, it was too cute.  I would've driven around the neighborhood for them to finish if it wouldn't have made them self-conscious enough to stop.  One of those little unforgettable moments.  I'm still smiling.  (And you manly men out there keep your macho comments to yourselves--they're 6,8, and 10 yr olds, for crying out loud.)

I realized today that I have no one to blame for the little chanteuse except...me.  I sing all the time:  in the car, sang to her when she was a baby, sing along with her shows, and dance around the living room with her regularly.  But isn't it always Mommy's fault?  ;)  I still remember Ryan, at like 4, singing along to No Doubt's 'Hey Baby.' He LOVED that song, and would request it everytime we got in the car.  Hey, it beats Barney.  And aside from my current obsession, I listen to all different kinds of music with them anyway.  And that beats me losing my mind in traffic, pulling over and abandoning my car with them in it.....come on you've had those moments too! 

 

 

 

No comments: