Monday, November 8, 2004

From the mouths of babes..

So the other day, I'm watching t.v. with the kids and I wasn't really paying attention because there was a Barbie commercial on...as the holiday season approaches, I just try and ignore all the extra toy propaganda to avoid going mad.  Anyway, the commercial ends, and my middle son, 8 yr old Ben, pipes up with a question:  "Mommy, why does Barbie have to be SO skinny?"

I was overcome with joy.  You see, I have 3 boys, and my youngest is a girl.  All along I have tried to raise my boys to grow up to be the type of men who open doors, say please and thank you, and chew with their mouths closed.  The toilet seat problem solved itself as they ALWAYS put the seat down (or the cats help themselves).  They've seen me pregnant and moody, breastfeeding, dressed up, dressed down. I don't paint pretty pictures of always getting up before they do so I can be perfectly dressed--they know the real deal.  I want them to be the kind of guy who is not gonna run when they hear the word 'period' and is not afraid to purchase monthly supplies. Confident enough in their masculinity to date a woman with short hair, walk into the lingerie store and actually buy something the right size, and be able to cook for themselves.  Now, don't get me wrong.  They are still very BOY--wrestling each other and bodily functions are still quite important to them.  But I'd like them to be aware of things, just so they aren't clueless the first time a woman blows a gasket 'just because'.  And I've also stressed to them and taught them that people come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, and that's what makes us all unique.  (Of course little miss is exposed to all this too, but she's only 2 so some of it doesn't compute yet.  She will also be subjected to insights on the men too--with 3 older brothers, I think we've got that covered.) 

But back to Ben.  I was so pleased, and he didn't know why.  I called him over, gave him a hug, and then wrecked the moment by going wacko and raving on about how Barbie is too skinny because the toy companies have a subversive motive to make women grow up thinking they SHOULD look like Barbie when it is anatomically impossible and hate themselves when they don't.  For crying out loud, I am Hispanic, and I have dark hair and eyes, and all my youth I wanted blonde hair and blue eyes so I could look--like Barbie!   There were no other choices for Barbie when I was growing up.  I told all of them that maybe 2 out of every 1000 women NATURALLY look like Barbie and the rest do it with help (don't worry, I didn't go into detail).  About that time I realized I needed to shut the hell up and just hugged him.  And told him he made my week.  And now I smile every time I think of it.  So I am hopeful, that at least I might be doing something right.  At least I'm covered until the wicked monster puberty hits him and then I'm sure I'll have to reprogram him again.

p.s.  I should mention that my husband totally rocks, and the kids see him doing all kinds of 'nontraditional' stuff all the time without complaint.  And they know other men who do too.  I should also mention that this same child once said that 'but women can't be bosses, can they' before I set him straight on that one.  Guess he's evolving.

The little one is still singing!!

No comments: