Monday, May 23, 2005

He's still around

I was listening to the new Dave Matthews CD over the weekend at work, and now I have this stuck in my head:

"...first time I kissed you, I lost my legs..."

It reminded me of the first time I was kissed.

He lost his legs, alright.

Because I pushed him away, he fell backwards off the porch, and narrowly escaped landing on his butt, sprawled out in the front yard.

I recovered, apologized, and beat it inside to the sanctity of my bedroom, where I promptly told my friend Jenny (yes, that same Jenny I always talk about): "Ewww.  That was gross, I don't know how people do that all the time."  Luckily for Mr W, she talked me down, and bolstered up my courage for the next night's attempt, where I tried to kiss him.  After costing him considerable teenage pride, I figured it would only be fair for me to make the attempt.

Now, he's around 6 feet or so, on a good day, and I'm 5'5" (on a good day), so there's that height issue, that I wasn't sure how to overcome.  He wasn't expecting it, either, and not likely to try again anytime soon, considering.

So I gathered up my courage, stood on my tiptoes and moved in for the smooch...and planted it somewhere on his neck.

Shyah, I'm sooo graceful.  I took solace in the fact that no one was pushing anyone off the porch, however.

I beat it inside even faster that night, convinced that it just wasn't gonna happen for me like in the movies.  (keep in mind, I was just shy of 14 years old at the time)

In spite of all that, he still came around.  Later that week, we had a rainstorm, a summertime evening monsoon that you'd have to live in the desert to appreciate.  We sat in the car port, lawn chairs side by side.

And this time, when we kissed, we got it right.  Kissing like mad with the storm going on all around us.

There's a reason, you see, when I go on about how much I like the rain.

It has nothing to do with "eww, gross..." and everything to do with finally understanding why people like to "do that all the time."

Mr W is just happy that I don't push him away when he moves in for the kill now.

Although, I could always have a flashback.....  ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwwww

Anonymous said...

Lol...

Hopefully for Mr W, you don't have a flashback :)

But you could always tease him with the idea!

That is a sweet story, thanks for sharing...

~Jennifer~

Anonymous said...

I think it is so sweet that you married your first real boyfriend. I also think that at this time in your life, he is more likely to push you off the porch, lol.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

THat is so cute!  Ahhhh those first kisses.... I'm so glad you got it 'right' : )
I love rain storms for the same reason.... great kisses!  
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Awww...brings back memories when I kissed my husband for the first time too.  Knocked him off the porch too.  LOL

Anonymous said...

LOL that was too much!  I had a great picture in my head for that one!  I was way too young when I had my first kiss.  I wish I had fonder memories.  Well, at least it taught me to only do what I really felt ready for as I grew into teenagehood.

Anonymous said...

lol... this was cute. Too funny.

~Jaime
jaimechase.com