Monday, January 17, 2005

Comic relief

On Sunday, I got to work with a friend of mine who is currently expecting her third baby (hey,  they're just trying to keep up with me, lol).  She was trying to keep the sex of the baby a secret, but I knew it was a boy...and she confirmed this when I saw her.

"We can't agree on a boy name," she said.  Of course, since I'm an expert on naming boys, and we couldn't agree on a girl name when Audrey was in the oven, I could sympathize and offered my assistance.

I swear, I ran through every cool name I could think of, but they were either old boyfriends, cousins, names of weird acquaintances, etc.  I went for the obvious, and said, "Name him after his Dad (David), you can't go wrong with that, and listen to this" and I pronounce it for her in Spanish, "it sounds so sexy."  Like you want your newborn to have a sexy name, lol,  hey I was grasping at straws here, we'd been at it for almost an hour, I can only handle so much rejection...  She laughs and says, "You know, my mother-in-law said the same thing!  But I don't know, he doesn't want to name him after himself because he doesn't want to hurt our other son's feelings..."

"Well," I said, "I can't think of any more."

On the way home, I'm running through names in my head, and nothing strikes me.  Once I'm home, I'm standing in the kitchen, talking to Mr W (who's in the recliner, with his back to me)...

"Hey, my friend, Steph, is having a boy, and I'm trying to come up with some names for her..." I relate the story of how all the names were rejected. "So, honey, try to think of a boy's name.  If we were having another boy, what would you call him?  Come on, think."

There's the briefest of pauses, and he says:

"Lucifer."  I am instantly doubled over in laughter, as he goes on:  "Because if we had another, it would definately be hell in here."

It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything. I'm sure the spray would've reached him. 

Once again, I'm reminded of why I keep him around.  He makes me laugh, at myself sometimes; he makes me laugh, at whatever is pissing me off at that moment; he makes me laugh, and that sets everything straight again.  Who can't use a little of that?

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are 4 girls in my house - Denielle, Gabrielle, Noelle & Arielle. However, after Noelle, my parents were having a hard time trying to figure out what to name the last daughter in order to keep the names rhyming. 2 funny suggestions I gave (hey - I was 8 or 9 at the time) were Azrielle and Gargamelle - from the Smurfs. :)

Denielle

Anonymous said...

I'm kinda partial to Remo, but her husband might start asking questions.