Monday, January 3, 2005

Kid talk

The kids have made some unusual comments the last couple of days.  I was pondering them today when driving around in the rain trying to lull my princess to sleep.  Thank goodness the van still holds a slumber spell on her, and I can get her to nap that way when she's fighting it.  The bonus is that I can listen to music while she drifts off; what a deal.  Boy, did she ever need that nap today!  I wish I could have joined her :)

The other day, we were getting ready to leave the house.  Ryan got mad at Ben, and chucked one of Audrey's new Barbies at him, spilling chocolate milk all over the table (which never happens here, lol) gunking up Barbie's hair and dress.  Lovely.  Luckily, little miss didn't see it, or the fit that would've ensued would probably have rendered the cats deaf.  Either that, or she would have surmised that Barbies are good to play with AND use as a weapon if need be...   So I finally got around to giving Barbie a shampoo and washing her 'dressie' last night.  While the 'dressie' was being laundered, Audrey just toted around naked Barbie.  She set her down on top of the dog's crate, and Ryan cries out to me: "Mommy!  Please!  Audrey's Barbie's naked--DRESS her!" He's all up in arms about it, like it's some kind of affront to his character that she's naked.  This from the child that shakes his money maker at the security cameras so he can watch himself on the t.v.  (Boy, do I get strange looks and laughter from people when he does that.  It is pretty funny.)  And in a few years, he'll probably say "Really, Mom, I was just dressing Barbie..."

He told me earlier in the day: "Mommy, me and Audrey, we were playing, and she jumped on me, and kicked me in the nutcracker."  I stifle a smile as Nolan feels compelled to explain to me "That's what he calls his balls, Mom."  I'm surprised he didn't speak extra slowly so I could understand him.  Not long ago, they didn't even know what 'balls' meant, and I'm getting the explanation?  Oh, man, I'm in for it as they get older and more creative with what words they use for their, um, parts.  Don't worry, folks, they know the clinical words for them.  It's the  playground words that throw them off...the ones that lead to "Mommy, what does _____ mean?"

Over the weekend, we were packing up the van to go to Nana's (of course) and it was a bickerfest the whole time.  Finally, everyone's all strapped in, we're closing the back up and I whisper conspiratorily to Mr W: "Hey, you got the extra keys to the car?  They're all strapped in, we can escape...."  As he's joking back to me about making a run for the border, Ben pipes up from the backseat:  "That's ok, Mommy, if you guys take off, we'll just call all our friends over and par-tay."  Eight years old, and I know who not to leave alone in the house.  Ever.  And where did 'par-tay' come from?  Did I miss something on the Cartoon Network?  Already the wheels in his head are turning like a teenager's.  Slow down, Ben-ben, there's plenty of time to drive your Mom nuts yet, and you've got your little sister softening me up already...

Earlier this afternoon, Ben asked me:  "Mommy, should/could I wear socks with my rollerblades while I blade in the house?"  Um, where do I start addressing this one?  "Socks, please," I shout out to him from the other room.  As for the blading in the house, I'll let that slide (ha) because it's raining outside today.  Hey, as long as there's no holes made in the walls, and he doesn't break his arm or the t.v., my foot or his elbow, it's all good. 

At least that's the story I'm sticking to.

*crash*

Not Ben.  Audrey.  She just broke the lid off a glass jar (candy) in the kitchen.  What happened to the eyes on the back of my head?  Aren't they standard Mom-issue?

Gotta get the broom....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe the eyes on the back of your head kit has small print that says they may be compromised should you choose to exceed the standard one child for each hand - rofl!