Wednesday, January 5, 2005

I knew this day would come

I've been waiting for this day to come.

None of the boys have done this, and I knew that in the natural order of parenting, this is something I'd experience sooner or later, but I was hoping to skip it.

This morning, Audrey and I got up first.  We were hanging around, easing into the day, and I was dealing with keeping Shadow from chasing the cats when I hear this whimper from Audrey.  "Ohw, my nose, my nose.." she's kinda picking at it, and since we just got up, I'm thinking, night booger...so I say "honey, use a kleenex..." and she gets one.  She continues to whimper and I reach out to pinch her nose a bit and help the booger down (look, the glamorous side of Momdom, get a camera) and notice something coming out of her nose as I feel something hard in her nose at the same time.  And out pops a small blue bead, nope, that's definately not a booger.  So I say --a bit harshly, but come on-- "No!  We don't stick things up our nose!!"  And she cries a bit, looking embarrassed, so of course I pat her back and say, "but are you ok?" before double checking to make sure that there was only ONE bead in there, and not a bracelet's worth.  I guess I'm feeling lucky that the thing came out without a trip to the pediatrician or ER...  I can't even focus my eyes properly yet, and she's issuing challenges like that?  Where's my coffee?  (better yet, where's my spiked coffee, haha?)

Add to to-do list:  Buy coffee maker.  Join the ranks of those who march to the drum of the demon caffeine...

And in a few short minutes, the whole crew will arise.  Another challenge will be issued, by Nolan, in the form of young love.

The object of my boy's affection, my friend from Kentucky's daughter is coming to town this weekend.  My friend, Darlyne, will be busy so I offered to take Dani off her hands on Friday so that Nolan and she could actually converse in person.  Darlyne's inlaws live on the other side of town, so I will meet them at my Mom's...and I'm sure I will giggle more than once watching them try to get over their shyness and actually speak.  Until then, however, I have Nolan looking kinda moony and telling me how excited he is about Friday.  Every five minutes.  It's pretty cute, and I'm hoping all goes well when they meet again. 

I'm sure some kind of scuffle will ensue, because as you know, when kids this age 'like' each other, they don't talk about it, they beat on each other; or go to opposite corners...should be interesting for me.

I knew this day would come too, that my boy would have his first crush, and his heart would go to some girl.  While it's easy in the sense I know these people, it's hard because I know it's just the beginning.  There will be plenty of practice for him, and lots of me just watching.  It's not something I'm gonna interfere in (not much anyway) because that is just a learn-as-you-go kind of thing.  I have friends that are still learning and no amount of interfering on my part has ever helped them out, lol. 

Uh-uh, this time, I'm sitting it out.  If things get boring, maybe Audrey can make her a special bracelet.   ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. I'll be on the lookout for blue beads, haha.

Denielle

Anonymous said...

I'm going to sail right past the "young love", okay? I don't think I can deal with that after my crushing body fat percentage measurement this afternoon. (It is very sweet though!)

I am literally laughing out loud at the bead. So far, it's yet to happen here. We've had the poop painting, penny swallowing and the hair cutting, but nothing up the nose yet.

It's three boys and one girl for you, yes? I'm not sure I have that straight yet and since we seem to be leading parralel lives in J-Land, I figured I should just ask! LOL!

Chantal

Anonymous said...

Please take my name off the "Special Beaded Gift" list. LOL

I'm dreading the "date" mine has scheduled for this month. I worry it won't go well, or he'll get stood up. Seems to be a disaster in the making.