Saturday, March 12, 2005

Sat six on Sat, for a change

Saturday Six - Episode 48 Picture from Hometown

1. Have you ever called 911 for an emergency?

Yeah.  My daughter was 7 mo old, and Nolan, my then 9 yr old, was holding her on the couch while I went into the kitchen to take something off the stove (w/o the baby in my arms-gasp!).  Like most babies tend to do, she wriggled, and he dropped her.  From the couch to the tile floor, my back was to them and all I heard was "ss-smack"When I went to get her, her little eyes rolled back in her head and she went limp.  My heart's pounding, waiting for the big cry that usually comes...and it doesn't.  She looks at me for a sec and out she goes again.  Think, breathe, call Mr W at work; no silly call 911.  So I'm talking to the 911 people and Mr W at the same time, trying to access Audrey and keep the others from freaking out, because they were scared, and -I swear to you this is true-change Ryan's poopy diaper with my free hand.  The whole world showed up at my house at the same time it seemed, but by then she was rousable and looking around a bit.  My friend Jane made it here in record time to watch the other kids (I think she arrived with the ambulances, lol, I know she was speeding and just as concerned as we were, bless her).  We wound up transporting her ourselves, after much discussion with the EMS people b/c I was worried she'd be too scared in the ambulance, and she was coming around.  So we spent a long night in the ER, where the dr patted us on our heads after checking her out and sent us home.  No, I was not thrilled about that, no CT, no xray--but she'd been nursing a bit, and no puking, and was alert, so I took her home and then to her dr the next day.  The sight of her limp little body haunts me to this day, it had to be one of my scariest Mom-moments ever.  And poor Nolan just couldn't bring himself to hold her for a looong time after that, even though we reassured him that it wasn't his fault.  I tell him now that when she's a teenager, and acting goofy, he can say to her that it's because he dropped her on her head when she was a baby.  He is looking forward to it.
 
2. Do you spend more or save more?

Um, let's see.  Four kids, I work what I refer to as extreme part-time (couple days a wk), and my husband is in the glamorous, high-paying profession of law enforcement, lol.  What do you think? 
 
3. How many live plants do you have in your home now?  Do you give them enough attention?

ROFL, I just looked at my last holdout plant today, thinking it looked like it needs repotting.  There is only one anemic looking live plant right now.  I don't give them enough attention and that is why there is only one.  Hey, I can barely manage to take care of the family pets on top of everything else, much less a plant-- the plant doesn't make noise for lack of care.  (gasp, gasp- 'waaattter', gasp- light, gasp- space....)
 
4. What was the last thing you did to exercise?  How often do you exercise?


I walk.  I shoot for 3 times a week, but I'd like to go more often.  I wish I was blessed with a hummingbird metabolism, like some people ;)  but I'm not, so merely chasing the kids around throughout the day won't cut it.


5. Where do you compare with regard to your parents:  do you feel like an adult, or still like the "kid?"  If you feel like an adult, when did you first feel that way?

I feel like an adult most of the time.  Depends on the day, lol.  I first felt like an adult when I had my own kid to bring to their house.  But if I cross the line, and my Mom gives me the look, then bam!  10 yrs old again.  God forbid I irritate my Nanas.  Then I have to run for cover, Shrimpy Nana is very quick, and she pulls hair.

6. Who is the last person you received a personal card or letter from that wasn't sent to mark a special occasion? 

My friend, Janna, sends me little fun Spongebob things in the mail and little notes once in a while.  Last time, she sent me Spongebob flipflops, and the time before that, Spongebob stationery and a pillowcase (that I don't share with the kids)  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how scary for you and Nolan!!!! Poor kid! I was laughing so hard as I imagined the visual of you doing it all AND changing that poopy diaper. Thank goodness all was well.
Laura