Friday, April 1, 2005

Panic room

I have mentioned before how I would like a "cone of silence".  A place all my own, where I could carry on a conversation without being interrupted. 

No, I haven't been sampling the medications in my house.  It's just a dream, I know.

But let's dream big, shall we?

I don't just want a 'cone' of silence, but an entire room.  One with video on the kids, so I can still keep an eye on them, because I know the minute I'm out of sight is the minute someone loses a limb.  Soundproof.  Stocked with my favorite snacks, a nice chair, and a phone to call all my friends, the ones I never get to talk to anymore without shouting "WHAT IS THIS THING?"  (point to my ear) "WHAT DO WE DO WHEN WE SEE IT?" (all look sheepish, and say "keep quiet?") I swear, I have made more than one of my friends temporarily deaf due to someone in the house getting out of line.  Yup, I tend to hang up pretty quickly around here after that, and not call again for a while out of both courtesy and embarrassment. Maybe my room could have some kind of security code that only the adults in the house know.

Some lucky folks have these in their houses now. 

And you thought the 'Panic Room' was to keep your family safe from unwanted intruders...I think it's true purpose is to keep the family safe from whichever adult is closest to snapping.

At 9:45 on a Friday night, with laundry to fold and kids still up (they have overnight guests), a toddler that wants a ring pop, and a 5:00 am wake up call, I'd say that adult is me. 

Time to call for backup.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My house is like your dream room. Well, it normally is. When the child moves back out, it will be again. There are some advantages to living alone!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful!!!!  Gotta love those ring pops too....don't tell anyone but I have secretly had one when nobody was home! LOL

Anonymous said...

       As a mother of 3 who's youngest daughter just moved out into an apartment with some friends ... let me say enjoy every single chaotic moment. You will have a vast cone of silence before you know it!
  BTW ... I just watched Shreck 2 for the first time this morning, a friend from work gave it to me. Loved the sound track ... easy to say from someone that's ony planning to listen to it once, right?
                                  *** Coy ***

http://journals.aol.com/coy1234787/Dancingintherain