Saturday, December 4, 2004

Our family date

We had too much fun tonight, at our little aikido Christmas party.  My friend and her daughter picked us up, and everyone looked very festive.  All the people at the party looked good too, all dressed up and not in their gis. 

The kids got all excited to go up and receive their certificate for participating in class all year.  They were dancing, and socializing, and had a great time.  I had to keep chasing after Audrey b/c she kept trying to go up onstage and do her 'dancing'; she just didn't understand that it wasn't a good idea.  They all got their faces painted, and I laughed at Audrey because she had to have both cheeks and the backs of both her hands done.  Let's hope she loses her affinity for body art before she starts noticing tattoos. 

We had a visit from Santa, and I was sad to see that Nolan didn't get in line for his goody bag.  I'm not sure why, I know he is the doubter this year, but I haven't talked to him about it yet.  I think he felt too much like a big kid and didn't want to blow his big kid cover in front of the little brothers. 

I'm glad we went, sometimes I shy away from events like that (it was a potluck, too) when I'm alone because it can be difficult to manage the four of them alone, particularly in a big party setting like that.  But you know, I am alone with the four of them doing day to day stuff all the time, and they behave, for the most part, so I usually wind up throwing my hat into the ring and making a go of it.  I can't deprive them of a good time just because I am the one outnumbered, and they are getting bigger.  The older kids understand they have to cooperate and help out so we can all have a good time.  My youngest son still has his moments, but with him its a combination of maturity and competition with his sister for supreme babyness.  But when they are all in sync, it's a beautiful thing, and we all have fun.  Besides, my friend was with us too, and I'll never turn down an extra set of eyes/hands when they're offered! :)   I know Mr W would have been proud of them tonight too. 

So now I'm on the countdown to running to the airport.  I can only hope the stars are aligned and Mr W's flight is not delayed.  We all can't wait to see him, so I decided that we will surprise him and wait for him inside.  Hee hee, I can't wait to see the look on his face!!!

No comments: