Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Tuesday Two--Part one

It's my first time playing Patrick's Tuesday Two. 

Here we go: 

THIS WEEK'S TOPIC #1:    SONGS

QUESTION A:
Name a song that somehow connects you and another person:  a loved one, an ex, or a friend or family member...and describe how it became "your song."

I had to think a minute on this one.

It's "Sexual Healing" by Marvin Gaye. 

Before you get all "oooh and hehehe" on me, and your minds head to the gutter, let me tell you why.

Mr W and I had been dating about six months and we were at a dance.   As you may recall, I was pretty young when we started seeing each other (ahem--cough 14) and I was still trying to figure out what was what in the grand scheme of the "I like him like him" scene.  

I knew we had fun together, and I did like him.  A lot.  But as far as knowing what feeling in love was, I wasn't clear.

So we're at this dance, and the song starts playing, and he leads me out onto the dance floor.  He's quite smooth about it, I remember, and as we started to dance, I caught a girl from his class giving him the once over in a wistful way. 

You know how it is.   Someone is not a hot commodity unless they are suddenly unavailable.  And she had quite the crush on him, I think, because I remember not liking it much when she spoke to him.  So flirty. 

Look, you little tart, you had three years of the divine Mr W all to yourself, you missed the boat, now step away from the cute boy before it gets ugly, I thought. 

We were dancing, close, but not so close as to alarm any chaperones.  I was looking at him, and I don't know what happened, but I felt like I was seeing him, really, for the very first time.  My breath just caught in my throat.  He was just adorable, in that sexy, seventeen year old,  just out of the shower for my date kind of way.

I looked at him, and knew he was ultimately trouble.  Afterall, he was making me tingly in places I should not have been.  Ahem. 

We left the dance early.

Now, nothing really happened that evening, I mean, please, I was 14 years old, and not even good at kissing yet, much less anything else.

But I'd be lying if I didn't say I started to really think about it.

And I found out that that feeling I wasn't sure about, that made me wonder "Is this it?" was love.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAAWWW!!! Now that is the kind of story I like to hear!
Great entry Anna.
***Monica

Anonymous said...

Sure. I buy that. Marvin Gaye singing "Sexual Healing" and Mr W being Rico Suave. Sure. Uh-huh. Works for me.

Anonymous said...

That really is a really sweet story.  I didn't realize you'd been together for so long!  That's truly inspiring these days.  

Good for you guys!

XO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

Awwww ... this made me feel good all over.  Before I read anything else and break the mood, I'm signing off.

Donna

Anonymous said...

I always wondered how y'all met... that is really a great story (and a GREAT song)!  It's nice to see people married for the long haul : )
Trace~

Anonymous said...

Aw, that is the sweetest story I've ever heard!

Anonymous said...

I really envy people who found their life's love early - more time to enjoy!

Tilly x