Friday, October 6, 2006

Making some space

Mr W not-so-delicately hinted that I need to conduct a thinning of the herd.  Not children, but closet space.

I hate it when he's right.  And although I really wanted only to sit on my bed and lounge with the kids, watching movies, I forced myself to at least deal with the more pressing mess in Audrey and Ryan's room.

You know how they say, "be careful what you wish for"?  I always wanted a house full of kids, and books.  A dog or two, and lots of love for everyone.  Boy, did I get it.   :)

I have all the kids books, bulging at the seams in their rooms, and as I considered Mr W's request, I forced myself to realize that the itty bitty-themed books probably should go.

I steeled myself for the mission, heart of stone, I told myself...I'd talked to Jane about taking some to the preschool with her, and was wondering what to do with some of the others when I thought of a coworker with a toddler who also loves books.

I want them to go to a good home, you know?

So I had two piles going, along with a trash one; I was really making progress and then I saw Bean.

I used to read the books about a little black cat named Bean to the boys all the time.  They're little board books, and the cat is adorable.  I paused.  Okay.  Bean stays, if only to be put away in my baby keepsake box later. 

Audrey was looking over my shoulder, conducting a mental inventory to hold me accountable to later, and making it harder for me as she pronounced each one her "favorite" and "give it to me."  Isn't that what always happens?

I reached for the next book, and I stopped dead in my tracks.

I picked it up, this $1.00 board book about Halloween.   With tears in my eyes, I gently stroked the spine, the white fray on it, little dents around it...the perfect half-moon of a little teething mouth apparent and well-preserved.  It doesn't matter who the teething mouth belonged too (I suspect Ryan) I still needed a moment to recompose myself.

Oh.  I don't have a heart of stone.

When Mr W came home, I showed him the book.  "You insensitive ...."  I teased him, pointing to the spine.  "Do you know what this is?"  He thought for a minute, and said, "Teethmarks?  Who did that?"  he looked accusingly over at Nolan.

"Dude, look at the teethmarks.  We don't have a child with a bite radius like this anymore.  It's an oldie."  "It made her cry,"  Nolan piped up as I shot him a look.

"It's probably Ryan's,"  I added.  Mr W, ever careful with my crazed maternal emotions, said, "You have his teethmarks on the window ledges in the dining room" (true) "and front windows, if you really need to see them..."  (spackle just couldn't conceal the spots completely)

I smacked him on the shoulder and stalked off, book in hand.  I'll put it with Bean, for now.

In the great green room.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the worst problem going thru Griffin's stuff.  I have a ton of it in the basement that I can't get thru. :)
Gillie

Anonymous said...

Keep the book. When you move, the teethmarks on the home will be left behind. I know how that feels. Child cut her teeth on several window ledges :)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Okay, maybe it's time I let the Trojan Horse from third grade go.  And the LIFESIZE poster of Michael Jordan when he was a rookie with the Bulls and still had hair -- I can at least take it off the wall. But not the baby shoes.  The baby shoes stay.  

Mrs. L